Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Il Dolce

I've become a little adventurous in the kitchen lately, and developed a passion for making cheesecake. The first, a chocolate cheesecake with a layer of caramel in the middle, was about six weeks ago. For Scott's visit, I made a straight-up New York cheesecake. Yesterday, I attempted a white chocolate raspberry. All three have turned out fairly well. The raspberry swirl in yesterday's effort didn't swirl too well, and ended up melding with the crust. I took it to work today, and nobody seemed to care (or notice).
Making a cheesecake from scratch is rather time consuming. Putting the whole thing together takes about an hour. The baking requires near constant supervision. Plus, there's a certain way they have to be cooled in order to avoid cracks in the surface. Then they have to chill for several hours. It isn't any kind of instant gratification, but the gratification that does come is amazing.
I'm debating over a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I'm not a fan of pumpkin-flavoured anything, but it might be cool to bring to the home of whomever invites me over (if someone invites me over). If so, I'll just make a second one of my choosing.

No comments: