Monday, November 24, 2008

Popsicle Toes

Joann and I have been planning a project at work to switch out some broken fire hydrants. Since I was on leave last week, we set everything up to start today. I knew it would be a rough first day back at work, but it had to be done.
Last night, Johnny shot me a text asking if I'd be down for running the base perimeter this morning. Reluctantly, I accepted. It was a little brisk outside this morning, but we had a great run and I was more than ready to tackle the hydrants.

Johnny, Joann, & Corey
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
When we finally got started digging our first hydrant, the temperature dropped and it started to snow. The mountains get plenty of snow, but Joann says it hasn't snowed in the valley since 2005. So, Joann, Johnny, Corey, and I are out there digging up this hydrant and it's absolutely freezing and wet.


Joann
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
We were each taking turns in the hole, not because we wanted to work, but because it was warmer down there out of the wind and snow. To make matters worse, the bolts on the old hydrant were so badly corroded, we had to use a grinder to cut them off. We were hoping to finish two hydrants today, but just completing the first one was an all-day project.
We have more hydrants to fix, plus Johnny wants to run the perimeter again on Wednesday. It's going to be an exhausting week, but I guess that's what happens when you try to fit five days worth of work into only three days.

No comments: