Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Shrinkage

This morning, I read some interesting news that Rolling Stone is abandoning its large format to become a standard sized publication. I've been a frequent reader since 1992, and a subscriber since 1997. (A few years ago, Rolling Stone began offering a lifetime subscription for $99. I figured it was a pretty good deal, so I signed up; and, according to the information on my address label, Rolling Stone says I'll die when I'm 81.) The magazine has had its ups and downs over the years, but I still find it a good source for music news and pop culture. I'm not fond of its extreme liberal bias, but where else am I going to read interviews with Missy Elliott and Isaac Brock? I hope the change in size won't alter their content, but even if it doesn't, it just won't be the same. The large 10"x12" issue always seemed to have more to say than other magazines. I have several older issues with great articles about Sleater-Kinney or Radiohead stashed away as keepsakes, plus a few select anniversary issues. I guess they'll be even more of a collector's item now.

No comments: