Sunday, October 05, 2008

Hittin' The Books

Some big changes are going on in the Air Force. The one affecting me most is a merger of my career field with liquid fuels maintenance (LFM). I can understand why we're merging, as there are many similarities between our jobs. The major difference is that instead of moving water around, LFM moves fuel. For obvious reasons, there are more safety procedures involved, and a whole other set of tools (the non-sparking kind). Nobody is really thrilled about the whole situation, but we all understand the Air Force is trying to save money because there's probably a pilot somewhere whose personal masseuse wants a raise or something.
The worst part of the whole thing is having to do the Career Development Course (CDCs). Everyone has to do CDCs for upgrade training when they get to their first base. You have to study a bunch of books and take tests, and I thought I was done with mine long ago. Our first of four volumes is due next week, and I'm just getting started. But since I'm working all weekend, I'll have a lot of time at the shop to work on them.

No comments: