Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Three Dog Night, Plus Two Additional Bonus Nights

I've always been a dog person. Maybe it's because we had dachshunds when I was growing up. Maybe it's because I'm horribly allergic to cats. Maybe it's because I've always been a little jealous of their ability to lick themselves. Regardless, I've never had a dog since I left home. The companionship would be nice, but I don't think I'd be around enough to give it the attention it needs or deserves. Still, I often think how great it would be to come home from a long day and have a little friend so grateful to see me.

Daisy
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
So, when my boss, MSgt Lewis, asked if I'd dog-sit for him this week, I felt a little flutter in my heart. This is Daisy, his chihuahua--probably the most low-maintenance dog on the planet. She's well-trained and has a great personality. My only role is to let her outside every so often and make sure she has food and water. I'm keeping her while he and his family are in Rome this week, and we're having a blast, despite the fact she sits in the doorway of the bathroom while I shower, which is rather disconcerting. I chase her around the yard every morning, and she sleeps with me at night. Now's the time where I'm supposed to crack a joke about getting a bitch in my bed, but I'll just leave it alone.

No comments: