Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Acrylic Afternoons

Every day beginning at 12:30 and lasting two to three hours, Italians observe "riposa," which translates literally to "rest." It's similar to the Mexican siesta. During this time, nearly all businesses and restaurants shut down. And during riposa, there is NOTHING going on. Old people at the cafe - gone. Neighbours trimming their hedges - absent. Kids playing in the yard - disappeared. They're all sleeping. I've heard it's best not to do anything too loud outside, like mow your lawn, unless you want to get nasty looks.
Sometimes, it's a bit of an inconvenience, especially when I need to get gas. I've learned to schedule my day so, at this time, I can take care of stuff on base, like checking my mail or hitting the gym. I guess this is why Italians eat dinner so late, and don't sleep much at night. It's a custom I can see myself adopting.

No comments: