Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Light Elite

Sometimes, I get the feeling people at work think of me as a little snobbish. It's not that I ever exclude or deliberately talk down to anyone; quite the opposite. I think it all boils down to a matter of taste. I like Beck, while Bill prefers Toby Keith. I brought in "The Shining," but Aaron opted for "The Hills Have Eyes 2." I rarely laugh at their jokes, and they rarely laugh at mine. I asked if anyone had read the new David Sedaris book, and I got blank stares. I manage a slight chuckle when Corey passes gas on Joann's desk, but I feel like a fake.
Still, I enjoy their company, both on and off duty, despite our differences. One time, Johnny told me I was "well-spoken," and I almost took offence. I've never been the type to care what people think of me, but these are my co-workers, so it's more than just a social status. It's like family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that Mr. Sedaris had written a new book! I bought "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" when it came out, but still have not read it. Haven't had the time with being a mommy and all. What is the name of his newest book? Thanks for the info.