Thursday, July 17, 2008

Miss Manners Says, "Really?"

Sunday night, some friends and I went to the theatre on base to see Wall-E (another Pixar masterpiece). As Aaron, Steven, and Bob were getting snacks, Johnny and I went into the theatre to find seats. It was kinda crowded with tons of kids, which we expected, so we picked a row near the back.
As soon as we sat down, a middle-aged couple in front of us turned around and said to Johnny, "You're not going to be popping your gum during the movie are you?"
"Um...no," replied Johnny.
"Okay. Please don't. Thanks," they said, and turned back around.
Johnny turned to me with the most stunned look on his face. Yeah, he was chewing gum, but neither of us had made a sound. We were dumbstruck and it kinda put a damper on our evening.
Since then, every time I see Johnny, we talk about things we could have said to let them know exactly what kind of assholes they were being. Things like:
"Do you realise this is a kids movie? And any sound I make is probably going to be drowned out by the sound of little hellions running around like headless chickens."
-or-
"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise you paid more for your ticket than we did."
Next time, we'll be ready.

No comments: