Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Place to Lay My Head

I found a house!
It's a really nice, relatively new, two story, two bathroom, three bedroom home in Budoia (Boo-doy'-ah). It's only ten kilometres from the back gate, which means I should be far enough away so the noise from F-16s doesn't interrupt movie nights. It's got vaulted wood ceilings, and a marble staircase. It's part of the way up the mountain, which should keep things cooler and less humid in the summer. And I have a great view of the entire mountain range.
I was hoping to find something in a downtown area, and this is more residential; but I'm still planning to develop some healthy relationships with my neighbours. Also, the rent is about 40 Euro more than my housing cap, which at the current record low value of the dollar (Thanks, Dubya!), is about an extra 60 bucks a month.
Regardless, all this is insignificant when I think about how great my place is gonna be. Even though I met with the landlord today, I probably won't be able to move in until mid-March. The thing about the Italians is that they're never in a hurry, so it's gonna take about two weeks to turn on my utilities and stuff. I hope they can move a little faster than that, because I'm getting pretty sick of living in billeting.
A tremendous thanks to MSgt Lewis, my boss, who's taken me house hunting and devoted tons of time and energy into helping me find a place. I can't thank you enough.

No comments: