Thursday, August 23, 2007

Troubled Water

A few days ago, I noticed a small leak in the valve behind my toilet. It wasn't a big deal, so I placed a rag beneath it until I got the chance to go by the office and report it to the manager. (Now, I realise I'm a plumber, and I totally know how to fix these types of things, but why bother when it's the maintenance guy's job? Plus, that would require me to buy parts and tools I don't have readily available.) I finally went by the office after work today. The maintenance guy came over soon after. Here's a rough transcript of our conversation:

Currt-Dawg: It's just a tiny drip right there behind the toilet.
Maintenance Guy: Okay, I'll see what I can do.
(He fiddles with it for a minute.)
MG: I'm going to have to shut the water off for the building, but I can't do that until 9 o'clock tomorrow morning. And it looks like it's dripping a little more, so you might want to throw a bigger rag under there.
CD: Um, okay. Thanks...?

So now, instead of dripping once every few minutes, it's dripping two or three times a second. A bigger rag?!? I have the largest bowl from our cupboard beneath my toilet, and it looks like I'm going to have to get up every couple hours tonight to empty it. This is why I want to own my own house.

No comments: