Thursday, August 23, 2007

Staring Back At Me Singing

There was a little foreshadowing involved when I gave Mad Props to Adam Schlesinger a few months ago. Little did I know that Fountains of Wayne would be coming through SLC. They played The Depot last night, and I was right down front with bourbon in hand.
I walked in near the end of the opening band's set. They were a local band called Going Second. They were very reminiscent of mid-90s alt-pop, but what they lacked in originality, they made up for in energy. Their lyrics were pretty spiritual, but I'm not sure if they're Christian or Mormon or either. Regardless, I only got to hear them for about 20 minutes before intermission. And then,

Fountains of Wayne
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Fountains of Wayne took the stage. They looked older then I'd expected, but still managed to dance around with plenty of energy. And they sounded great. Every chord reverberated so fully, and Chris Collingwood never missed a note. Even though "Traffic and Weather" is their latest album, they seemed to concentrate more on songs from 2003's "Welcome Interstate Managers" album, which didn't bother me because that's my favourite of their records. They even had a little improvisation time in the middle, throwing in snippets of 70s classic rock songs. It was cool to see how they played off each other, affirming what brilliant musicians they all are. I had a wonderful time, despite getting beer spilled on me by several, um...corpulant young ladies. But they were having fun, as was everyone in the audience. Yet another reason to hold Adam Schlesinger in such high regard.

No comments: