Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Wishing Well

Today was my first day back at work, and, except for the slight cold I have, it wasn't bad at all. A lot changed while I was gone, and now, instead of working fire suppression, I'm in a much bigger shop. My new job is "water operations." We take care of well maintenance, pH, chlorine residual, booster pumps, lift stations, the base pools, and a few other random things. It's not a bad job and I work with a pretty good crew.
Speaking of work, we had a big briefing today about some new developments on base. It seems the Air Force is trying to streamline operations at certain bases, Hill included. Most support squadrons are getting rid of their military personnel, and relying on civilian contractors. We'd heard about this before we deployed, but today, we found out they moved the estimated closing date from July of '09 to April of '08. Some people are requesting to leave as soon as possible, but I've asked to stay until the last minute. Whether or not that will happen is probably decided by some big computer in Texas, but I've got my fingers crossed.

No comments: