Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Get on the floor, let's dance some more!

When I was a junior in college, I got a job at a clothing store in the mall. It was a fun job, mostly because I worked with cool people. One of those cool people was a girl named Amy. She was a free-spirited, outspoken girl, and I was quite taken with her. One night, to my pleasant surprise, she invited me to a party at the house of her friend, Jimmy. Jimmy was one of the first openly gay people I'd ever met, and he was a trip. He had parties at his house all the time. Those in attendance were crazy, fun people, and I always had a good time whenever I went.
So, now to the point of the story: one night at one of Jimmy's parties, someone threw in an album by a band called Luscious Jackson. It was funky and hip and totally danceable, and I immediately fell in love. They became one of the defining bands of my college years. LJ released four albums over the course of the decade, and shortly after 1999's "Electric Honey," they split up (and I cried). I found out recently that they've reunited and have begun work on a new album (and I shouted with joy). Also, today, Jill Cunniff, one of the founding members, released her solo album "City Beach." No, it's not an LJ album, but it will have to do until the new one emerges. If you're interested, you should pick up "Natural Ingredients" or "Fever In Fever Out." You'll be glad you did.
After I joined the Air Force, I lost track of Amy. If I ever happen to see her again, I'm gonna give her a big hug and thank her for inviting me to those parties and introducing me to such a great band.

No comments: