Friday, May 19, 2006

Based on a True Story

Tuesday night, I went down to SLC to catch The Notorious Bettie Page. I thought it was great. Gretchen Mol was in the title role, and if the energy she gave off was anywhere near that of the real Bettie Page, I can understand why she became so popular.
Biographical pictures (biopics) have become increasingly frequent in the past few years. For some reason, I haven't really been interested in seeing any, but the more I see, the more I like them. The first time I really noticed this was after I watched Walk The Line, even though my favourite of all time would probably be Amadeus. The only problem with most of them is they've been so "Hollywood-ized" that it's difficult to tell fact from fiction. Regardless, it's always fun to do some personal research on an historical figure or see a film spark public interest in someone (i.e. Truman Capote last year or Malcom X in the early 90s). I think sometime in the next few weeks, I might have to go out and rent Coal Miner's Daughter or Gandhi.

No comments: