Friday, March 24, 2006

iMixed

A couple weeks ago, after Saturday afternoon coffee with John, I was driving home and happened to pass by a car stereo installation place. On a hunch, I stopped in. I was curious if they'd be able to hard-wire my iPod into my car. The answer was a resounding "Yes!"
It cost me nearly $300, but it was totally worth it. My iPod stows nicely in the middle console, and I can use the buttons on my radio to skip or rewind.
The only drawback is this: my iPod has made me a lazy listener. Let me explain. There's something cool and necessary about albums. Every record has it's good and bad tracks (except for Radiohead's "OK Computer" and Sleater-Kinney's "Dig Me Out"), but listening to an album in its entirety is something that should never become ancient or forgotten.
Of course, legally downloading single songs does have its place (i.e. Toni Basil's "Mickey" or the theme from "Shaft" by Isaac Hayes). But if there's an artist in which I have a particular appreciation, I find it's best to purchase the whole album. It takes more effort, but it's more rewarding in the end.
So, yeah, I'm pretty much addicted to my iPod. I just need to regain the discipline to listen to records all the way through, beginning to end. It will be tough lowering my use of the "shuffle" option, but I'm confident I can do it.

3 comments:

nicolesy said...

Today must be the official "iPod posting day" or something. I just posted and mentioned podcasting and iTunes. Weird ...

I definitely agree with you on purchasing whole albums. I used to get made fun of for that ... buying a whole CD when I only really knew one song. In the end it is so worth it! I usually end up liking other songs better than the song I bought it for in the first place :)

Homie said...

Hope you aren't too used to the iPod you have. There is a wide screen version being worked on right now.

Anonymous said...

I agree that it is often fun to buy an entire Album but i like the freedom of being able to purchase individual songs as well.

One thing that I love about iTunes is that I can preview music... that usually makes the decision for me. Single song, or whole album.

Also, iTunes tries to give you incentives to buy the complete album by offering extras for an entire album purchase. for example, album art, video(s), and extra tracks. This often tips the scales for me in my decision making.

Thanks iTunes! Because of you, I was forced to get a second job :)