Thursday, May 22, 2008

Camouflaged

Last week, I was having a cappuccino at the cafe up the street. Whenever you order any kind of coffee drink, the barista always sets out a bowl of assorted sugar packets. I was halfway through my cappuccino when a man came in and stood next to me. He, too, ordered a cappuccino, and made some small talk with the barista. He looked over at the bowl of sugar, which was right next to me. I nudged the bowl toward him with my hand and said, in my most authentic Italian accent, "Prego." "Prego" usually means "You're welcome," but it can also mean "Go ahead" or "Proceed" (similar to "dozo" in Japan). After my gesture, the man smiled and started speaking to me in Italian very quickly. I just smiled and nodded, but I was thrilled inside. I had totally passed myself off as a local. Luckily, the man didn't say too much before going back to his cappuccino. If he had asked me a question, I probably would have made an ass of myself.

No comments: