Wednesday, June 02, 2004

So, you know how there's sometimes an issue that you don't think you really have a problem with, but then one day you get a spiritual smack in the face and you realize how much you do? Yeah, that happened to me this week. I was walking across the compound, when, in the distance, I saw a guy from my squadron who isn't exactly Mr. Positive. I took evasive action and ducked behind another shop to avoid him. Afterward, I felt like crap. I mean, would it have killed me to smile at this guy and say "Whattup?" I've kind of realized that having poor expectations of someone is basically the same as judging them. If I never take the risk of interacting with someone, then I'll never have the experience of being pleasantly surprised by them.
Work has been going pretty good. I kind of alternate between driving the water truck, doing maintenance, and working various other jobs. My day off has been moved (again), this time to Fridays. I don't really care, anymore, though. In fact, days off are kind of overrated. All I ever do is watch a movie or two, take a few naps, and read. In fact, yesterday, I was so bored, I almost considered coming in to work. I eventually chose to go for a run at the gym. I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.
So, we latest rumour is that we'll be leaving here around the 28th, flying to Al Udeid (where I was for 7 months last year), and taking the rotator out of there on the 1st. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the States, but I'm going to do my best to control my compulsive buying, especially if I plan on making this trek to China in the fall, and a big trip around the States in March.
What other good things can I report? I'm finally getting a decent tan. Some of the guys here are so dark, and I'm so jealous. Regardless, my deepening pigmentation is manifested in my raccoon eyes, and that's more than I had when I got here. Also, I'm getting to know a couple of the guys in my shop pretty well. It's all about healthy relationships, right?
Anyway, I'm going to ride out the rest of the afternoon, and head home, and by "home," I mean "tent." I miss everyone more than words can express. Take care. No worries. God Bless.

No comments: