Monday, June 14, 2004

Reels, Rumours, Riding, etc...

I forgot to mention before when I talked about my day off the movie I watched. It was called "Monster" and it was based on the true story of Eileen Wournos, a prostitute / serial killer. So moving and so sad. I've rarely felt such pity for a character. Charlize Theron played the lead character, and now I see why she won the Oscar. Simply amazing. However, nothing could have prepared me for the disturbing movie I watched last night. It was called "Elephant" and was directed by Gus Van Sant. It was obviously based on the Columbine shootings, but the feel and look of this film makes it seem like I'm right there. It borders on being artsy, but the more I think about it, everything was done so purposefully, the messages within are all too clear. Highly recommended.
My friend Heath showed me this really cool website: www.snopes.com. It's all about urban legends and rumours. It includes everything in every subject from religion to celebrities to politics to sports to medical findings and everything in between. Ever heard the one about Richard Gere and the gerbil? Look it up here. Did you get the chain e-mail from Bill Gates asking you to forward it to 20 people? Look it up here. I could peruse this site for hours.
Speaking of rumours, we got an official e-mail from the Shirt today informing us of our departure date. I'll be leaving this sacred plot of ground on June 30th and heading to Al Udied (where I was last year). I stay there until July 2nd, and then fly to Misawa. I still don't know the exact date / time of arrival in Misawa, but I will be sure to let everyone know as soon as I find out.
I ran the water route today with Heath, which was pretty cool. I'm on stand-by this week, which is NOT cool. I've been looking online for hiking boots for this year's Mt. Fuji trip. I'm getting excited about it already. I still haven't been running in the mornings. They received new treadmills the other day, but they're not very nice. I guess I should be picky. Anyway, that's about all I can think of. I'll probably write more random things later this week. Take care. No worries. God Bless.

No comments: