Saturday, June 12, 2010

Light At The End

Stan is a utilities guy by trade, but when we arrived here from Italy, he was told he'd be the unit deployment manager (UDM). It's a total office job, and Stan wasn't too happy sitting behind a desk all day. The advantage is that he's the guy who makes plane reservations for us when we leave. As this rotation comes to a close, he's had a drastic increase of people jumping their chain of command and barging into his office asking when they're going to leave. It's gotten to the point where he just blurts out a date just to get them to leave. However, since we're all in the same shop back home, he's been keeping our bests interests in mind.
Yesterday, this e-mail exchange took place:

Stan: 22 June at noon
Me: Going through Germany?
Stan: Yep.
Me: Thanks. I see a cheesecake in your future.

So, it looks like we'll be leaving here a week from Tuesday. And just like the trip here, we'll have to go through Germany to get home. I'm not sure how I feel about that part. I mean, a night or two in Germany could be fun; but I really just want to get home and sleep in my own bed.
Still, we're all relieved to finally have a reserved date. Now I can start packing stuff up and sending boxes home. I'm going to do my best to keep my head in the game, but it's not going to be easy.

No comments: