Monday, December 14, 2009

Music To My Ears

I just realised I'm getting ready to leave in a couple days, and there are some loose ends I needed to tie up. Including this. So here it is, my
Top Ten Albums of 2009

The Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca
St. Vincent – Actor
Animal Collective – Merriweather Post Pavilion
(It's been a good year for weird indie rock, as these first three albums can testify. And the Animal Collective wins the award for weirdest album of the year. My friend Scott recommended it, and it took a while for me to really appreciate it, but now I love it.)
(The) Gossip – Music For Men
Lily Allen – It’s Not Me, It’s You
(Not as witty as her first record, but she still cuts deep with her social commentary.)
The xx - xx
Peaches – I Feel Cream
(She shifted her focus from lust to love, but the attitude is still there.)
Spinnerette – Spinnerette
(Brody Dalle's new band, which isn't much of a departure from The Distillers. She definitely knows how to lay down the hooks.)
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz!
(It's amazing how a band can evolve so much and still sound unmistakably like themselves.)
We Were Promised Jetpacks – These Four Walls
(The best debut of the year. I couldn't stop listening to it. Dark, hopeful, singable, and full of thick Scottish accents.)

Older albums I got into: Whip-Smart by Liz Phair, O by Tilly and the Wall, and the entire back catalogue of Eagles of Death Metal.
I didn’t get the Blur or No Doubt albums I’d been hoping for this year, and it doesn’t look like the Blur album is going to happen at all. Fingers are crossed for the No Doubt next year, as well as records from Courtney Love (which may bear the Hole moniker), Missy Elliott, Vampire Weekend, and Garbage. If you have any suggestions for bands I might like, please let me know.

No comments: