Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Union of the Snake


Sir Hiss
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
Thursday morning, I was checking the wells on base by myself because Johnny took leave to go hunting. I walked into one of the well houses and began some minor maintenance. I heard this strange hissing noise, and turned around to see this right in front of the door. I don't know how I didn't see it, but I somehow must have stepped over it. It was only maybe two feet long, but he kept striking at me. I backed away and he slithered off to the side, but not before I got a picture with my phone. His tail was shaking, but it didn't rattle. From the shape of its head, it's something poisonous, but nobody really could tell me. Even the girls over in entymology were baffled. Any ideas?

3 comments:

drivel said...

Ooooh. I'm no expert, but it looks like a snake to me.

Jess said...

So scary. I hate snakes.

Monica said...

http://www.desertmuseum.org/books/nhsd_gopher_snake.php

i've been googling, and while i've looked at the sidewinder and a few others, they all have rattles. the gopher is able to flatten its head into a triangular shape, strike, and shake its tail. it appears as a rattler minus the rattle.

it's hard to tell, though. lol