Friday, September 21, 2007

Under Your Charms


Josh Rouse
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
A couple months ago, I was surfing around iTunes, and happened upon a compilation called "Penny Candy." I hadn't heard of any of the artists, but it was only four bucks for sixteen songs. The little snippets I heard were pretty good, so I splurged. And I'm glad I did.
One of the songs was called "Hollywood Bass Player" by a guy named Josh Rouse. So taken was I with this song that I ended up buying the entire album from which it came, "Country Mouse, City House." This snowballed into buying his 2005 album "Nashville" and 2003's "1972." I tend to get addicted like that.
Josh came through SLC last night, playing at the Urban Lounge. His set didn't begin until 11 PM, and it wasn't very crowded, but it somehow made the show more enjoyable. His light, folky, alt-country tunes are unbelievably catchy, and he seemed so relaxed on stage. There's nothing particularly new or unorthodox about his voice or style or melodies, but there's something about the way it all comes together to create something really remarkable. Plus, it was nice to see a show where we weren't packed like sardines and everyone just grooved to the music all mellow-like. How pleasant.

No comments: