Sunday, September 09, 2007

Concern Turns To Worry

I woke up unnecessarily early this morning, and I'm in a strange mood. I can't help thinking about a good friend of mine who's destroying his life. Whenever I talk to him, he's rarely sober; and his path of self-destruction shows no signs of slowing. What's even sadder is that he's a total genius and could have a happy, successful future if he can keep himself in check.
Thinking about all this makes me think about how several of my friends consume what is probably more than the socially acceptable amount of mind-altering substances. I wonder if this skews my view of normality. And not just alcohol or drugs, either. What about sex and violence and anything else other than what God would have me experience? Is what I consider rational what He considers rational?

No comments: