Friday, September 28, 2007

Disco Infiltrator in the Neighborhood

Last night, Brian, John, Jeff, Trevan, Pete, and I went down to Thanksgiving Point for what was one of the most eclectic, exciting, and impressive shows I've seen this year. It was an outdoor show, and the crisp fall air really set the mood for a super fun evening.

LCD Soundsystem
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
We arrived just as LCD Soundsystem took the stage. James Murphy is the mastermind behind this dance-punk outfit, and his fantastic beats really stirred the crowd. Both of his albums are amazing, but hearing these disco anthems in a live (and extra loud) setting rendered me unable to keep my feet still. Watching the sun set as the disco ball twirled really set off each unique and infectious groove. I didn't want it to end.

But, alas, it did.
Then Arcade Fire came out. I wasn't really looking forward to Arcade Fire. In my mind, they were just another derivative, pretentious indie rock band, and I couldn't care less. Boy, was I wrong.

Arcade Fire
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
When all ten(!) members took the stage and began with "Black Mirror" from this year's "Neon Bible," I immediately took notice. Their entire set evolved into one of individuality and passion. Equally impressive was how several of the immensely talented performers changed instruments over the course of the evening. One would go from violin to drums or guitar to keyboard or french horn to clarinet. Based on word of mouth, I picked up "Funeral," their first album, a couple years ago. But based on this show, I'll definitely be picking up everything else.

No comments: