Sunday, July 29, 2007

Notes on a Rhythm #4 - Video Killed the Radio Star

I grew up in a very small town. So small, in fact, that our cable company didn't even offer MTV! (How did I ever survive?) Arriving at college, I got my first real taste of MTV, and, as crappy as it was, I watched it as much as I could. I never really got the chance to see it in its heyday. You know, when they played videos.
To me, music videos are like underwear. You don't really need them, but they can certainly enhance things.
Nowadays, MTV has been rendered rather irrelevant, as far as music videos go, thanks, in part, to the internet. You can find just about any music video online, and there are some pretty good ones out there. I've collected a few I find extra special. Hope you enjoy them, as well.

Best Summer Video:

This video makes me wish it were summer all year long. Bonus points for the nods to Schoolhouse Rock.

Best Dream-like Video:

Michel Gondry is an awe-inspiring director.

Video Most Likely to Give You Nightmares:

Creepy.

Most Surreal Video:

Madonna was at her creative peak in the 90s, and this proves it.

Best Subtitled Video:

Like I said, Radiohead are the masters.

Best Video That Makes Death Seem So Beautiful:

I'm not a MCR fan, but this song is an exception.

Best Video That Makes Me Cry:

I totally lose it at the end.

Best Live Performance Video:

PJ Harvey AND Bjork! I would have given anything to be there.

Best 80s Video:

This one really set the standard for non-performance videos.

Best 80s Nostalgia Video:

Those outfits and the robot moves make it just like 1985 all over again.

Best Hip-Hop Video:

I wish she'd come out with some new stuff, because her first album was amazing.

Best Absurdly Hysterical Video:

It's all about the moose.

This list isn't very thorough, and there are several glaring omissions; but if I were to put up all my favourite videos, this post would last forever. Hopefully, you'll see a few you've never seen before.

No comments: