Thursday, July 26, 2007

Notes on a Rhythm #3 - Words And Guitar

One of the greatest things is when you hear a really catchy song, and the lyrics are amazing, and they fit well with the mood of the song, and it's just one great package. But unfortunately, so many times crappy lyrics can ruin a potentially great song. And sometimes, they make a bad song even worse.
Cases in point:
"I wish that I could fly/Into the sky/So very high/Just like a dragonfly."
--"Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz
"What can we do?/What are we gonna do?/Roses are red/And violets are blue."
--"Now That We Found Love" by Heavy D & The Boyz
Did these guys get second graders to write for them? Thankfully, there are lyrics out there consisting of some of the most beautiful poetry ever put to music. Some really straddle the line, and could easily sound like drivel if delivered by a different artist or in a different fashion. I'm glad there are artists out there who know their audience and their limitations, and can write accordingly.
Here are a few examples of, in my opinion, great lyrics:
"I'm makin' my move/Lettin' loose like a belt/Little worse for wear/But I'm wearin' it well"
--"Elevator Music" by Beck
The great thing about Beck is how his lyrics flow so effortlessly, especially with his super-funky tunes.
"In your endless summer night/I'll be on the other side/When you're beautiful and dying/all the world that you've denied/When the water is too deep/you can close your eyes and really sleep tonight"
--"Boys On The Radio" by Hole
In 1998, I was in a hard-core Hole phase (which has never really ended), and I used to write out Courtney's lyrics. That sounds so highschool girl-ish, but I think she writes beautifully.
"You can feel her from the palm/that you're holding on your arm/Cool hands from the get-go/Can you feast on the real one?/Don't be in love with the autograph/Just be in love when you love that song on and on/Free"
--"Free" by Cat Power
Cat Power (aka Chan Marshall) has such a sultry, lazy voice. Her words just float over her music, whether it's the mellow, acoustic songs for which she's known, or even the more upbeat stuff.
"Not a day goes by I don't think about you/You left your mark on me/It's permanent, a tattoo/Pierce the skin and the blood runs through/Oh, my baby"
--"Right In Time" by Lucinda Williams
Lucinda's warm, sincere alt-country has really gotten to me over the years. So much emotion is conveyed in her deep, gravelly voice. She's a perfectionist, and it shows.
"A heart that's full up like a landfill/A job that slowly kills you/Bruises that won't heal/You look so tired, unhappy/Bring down the government/They don't, they don't speak for us/I'll take the quiet life/a handshake of carbon monoxide/No alarms and no surprises, please"
--"No Surprises" by Radiohead
Thom Yorke really is the master. Radiohead has never made a bad album. They continue to expand their sound, both lyrically and musically. They take chances, and have yet to disappoint.
"Is there splendor?/I'm not ashamed/Desire shoots through me like birds singing/The way you move/No ocean's waves were ever as fluid"
--"Get Up" by Sleater-Kinney
You know I couldn't write this without mention of my favourite band ever. This is one of their more mellow songs, but still one of their best.

I'm not a poet, by any means, but I can tell good writing from bad. The first time I was in Iraq, I had a two-hour discussion with my friend Heath on the lyrics to "Smells Like Teen Spirit." I love it when the mood of a song is juxtaposed by the lyrics; or when girl punk-rockers sing from a male point-of-view; or when, even after I've heard a song a hundred times, something about the words clicks and I get a whole new perspective on it. It used to bother me when artists didn't include lyrics in their albums, but thanks to the internet, it's not such a big deal anymore. Lyrics are a crucial part of a song, and truly have the power to make or break it.

No comments: