Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Hope Is Important

Things at work have been rather volatile lately. Not in terms of drama or backstabbing (though, those types of things go on occasionally), but it's just the fact that nobody really knows what's going to happen in the next year.
For some reason, the powers that be have decided to get rid of all military personnel in support positions at Hill Air Force Base, (i.e. Civil Engineering), and replace them with civilians. And fewer civilians at that. Apparently, they believe that, due to deployments and training, one civilian can do the work of three military. They've obviously never seen government civilians on the job.
As a result, the plan is to gradually get rid of all the military in my squadron by April of '08. People will get orders, but no one will be replaced. The system that controls assignments has my position expiring on 30 January 2008, but in reality, it could be anytime.
I'm praying for an assignment to Europe. I don't care where, but my main choices are in England, Germany, and Italy. Unfortunately, we've been told the plan is to man overseas bases at 90%, and beef up stateside bases, especially Red Horse (rapid deploying) units. My first assignment at Nellis was Red Horse, and I loved it, but I'm not so sure I want to go back there yet. Regardless, I've updated my assignment preference list (aka "dream sheet") to include all my overseas assignments plus a few choice stateside bases.
On top of all that, we've been tasked to provide seven bodies for a deployment to Qatar in September. Four months in Qatar would be like a vacation, and I've repeatedly volunteered to go. However, this deployment is not in my rotation, and the chances of me going are slim to none. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Not only to go on this deployment, but also for a good assignment afterward.
If anything happens, you guys will be the first to know. Well, after the people in my orderly room, and me, and the guys in my shop. But after them, you guys are at the top of the list.

No comments: