Monday, May 28, 2007

Create to Destroy


Project 337
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
After work yesterday, I showered and headed straight down to SLC to check out the 337 Project building. We didn't have any luck getting inside last Friday, so I wanted to make one final attempt before it's demolished.


337 Screen
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
The wait this time was only an hour, and there was plenty of stuff on the outside to make that time fly by. What I realised this time was that even the outdoor exhibits were something from inside the house. Most of the interior doors were removed and used as canvases. The window screens. Parts of the plumbing. Everything.


337 Truck
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Wall
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Tagger
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
This artist was still doing some work outside, painting ceiling tiles.

I only waited about 45 minutes before my ticket was called to go inside, and what I saw was completely indescribable. Each artist collectively made this structure into a living, breathing artwork. Sometimes entire rooms had a theme, while other rooms were tagged by several different people. I saw it all. Real and surreal. Dark and humourous. Sensual and spiritual. Political and environmental. Social and personal. Audible and silent. And everything inbetween. It was so fascinating to see all these different people's inspirations and perceptions of life.

337 Room
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I took pictures, both inside and out. They just don't do it justice. Nothing could really capture how wonderful this project is, and it's sad that it will all be torn down in a few weeks; but the artists feel the only way to fulfill their dream is to demolish the whole thing.


337 Room
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Room
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Mirror
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Bathroom
Originally uploaded by currtdawg



337 Room
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
This room was probably my favourite. I wish there were some way to post a 3-D picture. It was very haunting.


337 Entrance
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I got the chance to talk with a few different artists. They all had different stories and motivations and visions. It made me feel so lucky to live in such an interesting world full of such beautiful people.

No comments: