Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sanguine

Sometimes I wonder how long it will be before the whole September 11th thing loses its sting. I don't live in New York, nor did I know anyone who died in the attacks, but I still think about those nightmarish visions from that day. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have lost a mother or brother or best friend.
Though the circumstances surrounding the two are totally different, I wonder if the next generation will feel about 9/11 the way my generation feels about Pearl Harbour. It was a horrible loss of life, and even though I've seen footage and pictures from that day, it still doesn't have the same impact as a picture of the Pentagon with a big hole in the side. I'm curious what my grandparents, who have lived through both tragedies, think about it. Several people compare the two, but I've talked with Japanese people who are offended by that comparison. I guess I can see why.
Anyway, I guess my whole position is just to keep looking hopefully at the future, while not forgetting the past. History doesn't repeat itself, but we can learn from our mistakes. There's just too much suffering going on to not have any hope. Things may get worse before they get better. But they will get better.

1 comment:

Homie said...

With redoing the bathroom and all of that, I really didn't think about it much. All of a sudden it was like "Wow today is the eleventh"