Monday, September 19, 2005

Finagled

When I was in Japan, the only video rental place was on base, and it was rather pathetic, to say the least. They rarely had any kind of decent movies, especially independent ones, and what they did get usually arrived months after it was actually released. So, I got in the habit of just purchasing anything I wanted to see online. Over time, I've acquired quite a collection of DVDs, but I've realised I don't really watch them very often. Therefore, last night, I joined the ranks of thousands of others and got a membership to Blockbuster. I hate supporting a corporation that has such a monopoly on movie rental, but there aren't any locally-owned video stores around here at all.
I'm always reluctant to sign up for anything requiring a "membership," especially for something as trivial as movie rental. I've spent several minutes reading all the terms and conditions outlined in my little membership brochure, and even went to their website, but there are so many details that seem really vague. I'm great about returning library books on time, and I doubt I'll have any trouble with DVDs, but somehow, someway, they're gonna screw me out of some money.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

i left japan wanted by three video rental places. i wonder if they have a photofit of me behind their desks. i dont know why i find it so hard to bring things back on time...