Monday, February 07, 2005

Chips and Church

Last night, I was invited to Caleb's house to play Texas Hold 'Em. Apparently, this version of poker has developed into quite a craze in the States lately. When we started, there were seven players. The final three were Thaddeus (Caleb's oldest brother, who bears a very strong resemblance to Matthew Perry), Sam (Caleb's youngest brother), and me. Thaddeus won, and I came in second. It was two bucks to buy in, and I left with four, so it was profitable AND fun.
This morning I went to church with Thaddeus, Ashley (his fiancee), Sam, and Heidi (his girlfriend). They go to a place called Washington Heights Baptist Church, which is the largest non-Mormon church in Utah. Since I grew up in a church with about 300 active members, I normally avoid such large churches with the impression they're impersonal. However, I really enjoyed the service this morning. The praise and worship was spectacular and the pastor gave a message that was relevent, poignant, and interesting.
And this afternoon, as we all know, was the world's biggest display of homo-erotic macho bullshit known as the Super Bowl. I went shopping, took a nap, and watched "Shaun of the Dead." It was probably one of the better Super Bowl Sundays I've had.

No comments: