Friday, January 21, 2005

What's up, Doc?

So, it all began on Tuesday, when I was in yoga class. Everything was fine, until one time when we went into the downward facing dog pose. I was moving my arms above my head, and heard a snap and felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder. For the rest of the class, I couldn't move my arm up at all, so I just kinda faked the rest of the poses. Wednesday, it was still hurting, so I decided to call for an appointment, which was made for Thursday morning. When I got to the hospital, the doc checked me out and asked all the standard questions and sent me down to get x-rays, just in case. The x-rays showed that nothing had been broken, and nothing was out of socket, which is a good thing. So then, she sent me to get drugs (Naproxen - a stronger form of Motrin), and then down to physcial therapy, in the hopes they could fit me in for a more thorough diagnosis before I PCS. The physcial therapist checked me out, and, after telling me I had the loosest joints he'd ever seen, taught me a few exercises I could do to relieve the pain and get full range-of-motion in my arm. He told me what exactly happened (apparently, I grinded some bone/cartilage that wasn't supposed to grind, causing tenderness and pain) and gave me a very detailed print out for my exercise instructions. I left a happy boy.
So, my point is this: people give military doctors a lot of crap, but in my eight years of Air Force medical care, I have had no complaints. Every time I've gone to the hospital, be it at Nellis or Misawa, the med techs and doctors have been nothing but courteous, professional, and thorough, with an excellent bedside manner. I know there are those of you with some crazy Med Group stories (Biscuit's is the best!), but until I get treated for a concussion when I should be getting the drugs pumped out of my stomach, I'm going to defend military doctors.

No comments: