Friday, November 27, 2009

To celebrate the holiday, we were expecting him to to bite the head off a live turkey.

Don't judge me, but last night, I went to see Marilyn Manson. I'm not a fan, really, but I've always heard his live performances are not to be missed. Travis rode with me, and at the venue, we met up with Heather and Jo. Travis and I arrived late and missed the opening band. (I couldn't even tell you who it was.) Travis went to the floor and I sat in the stands with the ladies.

Marilyn Manson
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
When the curtain dropped, all we saw was smoke. So much, in fact, we couldn't even see Manson for the first two songs. Eventually, it cleared, and we watched him and his band work their way through material off his latest album, "The High End Of Low," which I'm not really familiar with at all.
You'd think a shock-rocker like Manson would thrive in a live-show environment, but despite some dollar sign/swastika imagery, most of the show seemed rather tame. Manson himself was pretty impressive, though, moving around the stage and spitting water on the crowd to show his faux-disgust with all things fame-oriented, capitalist, etc. Thankfully, he threw in some familiar hits toward the end of the show, and we all sang along to "The Dope Show." The 90-minute set closed, predictably, with "The Beautiful People," and even though I disagree with everything that song stands for, it's impossible to hear it without jumping around with your hands in the air when it plays.

No comments: