Monday, November 02, 2009

"That was my favourite arm!"

When I was little, sometimes in the summer, my friends and I would walk downtown, which wasn't very far. Our main destination was the drugstore which had an old-fashioined soda fountain. But on the way there, we'd usually stop at the library for a while. I still remember the first time I read "Where The Wild Things Are." The artwork was like nothing I'd ever seen before, and the story, while simple, remained in my memory for years.
When I heard there was going to be a live action movie, I was cautiously optimistic. When I heard Spike Jonze was directing, I was thrilled. When I saw early trailers, I was ecstatic.
I finally saw the finished product last night, and I can safely say it was one of the most unique, wondrous, spirited films I've ever seen. Even though it did't really seem like a kids' movie, Cheyenne, Rachel, and I all agreed it took us back to our childhoods. The monsters were real, the actors were on par, and the soundtrack by Karen O fit the mood perfectly.
"I could eat you up, I love you so." Indeed.

No comments: