Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dig Dug

It bothers me when I have a really busy day at work, but as I leave my office, I don't really feel a sense of accomplishment. These days are usually full of computer time and running paperwork all over the place. They're hectic and ridiculous and my desk is as cluttered at the end of the day as it was in the beginning.
Then there are days when I get to do real work. Today, for instance, JoAnn, Rick, and I changed out a fire hydrant with the help of the heavy equipment shop. Fire hydrant jobs are somewhat of a gamble--if they go smoothly, we can finish before lunch; if not, it could take as long as two days. As we were digging, we encountered a few things that made us think it was going to be a big job (i.e. unmarked lines, kickers, etc.). Luckily, we overcame each of these obstacles (mostly thanks to Rick, who seems to have the best luck on big jobs), and finished in time to have a big lunch at the club.
The afternoon was still full of frustrating paperwork, but it didn't detract from the fact that we completed a big job. We left our mark on the base, and things will operate smoother because of us. Mission: accomplished.

No comments: