Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New Kid on the Block

Friday evening, I got home, exhausted, and fell asleep on my couch. I woke up around 9, and noticed missed calls from Deana and Dan. I was wondering why Dan would call me from work when I got a text from Deana that read "Joann is in labor!!!"
I headed straight to the hospital, but by the time I got there, everything had calmed down considerably. Joann had already had the epidural, and was resting comfortably, chatting with Deana. Her water broke around 6 PM, and Deana took her to the hospital. There was plenty of chaos and cursing, and I wish I could have been there to help.
Joann asked if I could take care of a few things at her house, and by the time I got back to the hospital, around 11:30, Joann was at 9 cm. Dan said it was the fastest progressing first pregnancy he's ever seen.
We've all seen people have babies in the movies, and I never really expected the real thing to be like that. And it wasn't. Once the doctor came in the room, Joann started pushing, with Deana holding one leg and me holding the other. It wasn't loud or chaotic, but it was very intense. When the baby's head started coming out, I got on the phone with Jake and was giving him the play-by-play.
Before things really got crazy, Dan asked if I was sure I wanted to be a part of it. He said a lot of guys really can't handle witnessing a live birth. It made me a little nervous, but I was confident. I'm glad I stayed. Watching that tiny little baby take his first breath. Seeing the expression on Joann's face when they set him on her chest. Hearing the joy in Jake's voice as I told him he had a healthy baby boy. Those are things I'll never forget.

Brayden - 8 Hours
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
And so, it's my pleasure to introduce Brayden. He's unbelievably adorable. He and Joann are both doing wonderfully. Joann has tons of friends ready to help her out with whatever she needs; plus, her Mom is flying in tomorrow afternoon for a couple weeks.
Joann now refers to me as "Uncle Sutton," which, I have to admit, makes my heart skip a beat. I love that kid, and I'm looking forward to the remaining months he and Joann have here in Italy.

No comments: