Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bogeys and Birdies (but mostly bogeys)


Diaz & Johnny
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
As it turns out, helping deliver babies isn't the only activity in which I engaged for the first time on Friday. The other is golfing.
For some reason, the Air Force loves golfers. I could ask for an afternoon off to play softball or go hiking, and I'd probably get denied. However, if there's a golf tournament going on, the whole base shows up. I've never golfed where it doesn't involve little windmills or loops, so usually, during these tournaments, I'm the guy left in the shop to take care of jobs.
Anyway, the fire fighters sponsored a golf tournament Friday afternoon. Johnny, Rick, and Diaz needed a fourth person for their team, and I figured it's about time I decided to learn this crazy game. Johnny and Diaz haven't been playing long at all, but Rick is borderline pro. Luckily, the rules were best ball, so he pretty much carried our team.


Rick
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
I've never been good at learning new things, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. They gave me plenty of pointers, and once I got the hang of it, I was making contact with the ball every time.
Also, I didn't realise 18 holes would take so long. We even had carts, and we were on the course for nearly four hours. It was insane hot, and we were all drinking plenty of water, but still, after we finished, all I wanted to do was go home and sleep (which I did a little too well, causing me to miss two very important phone calls).
Unfortunately, we didn't place in the top three, but I won a jersey in the raffle, so I didn't go home completely empty-handed. As for future endeavours on the links, I'll probably limit myself to tournaments, as the social aspect of the day far outweighed the sport. I wasn't exactly Jack Nicklaus out there, except for a few expletives I may have hurled. Maybe a few evenings at the driving range will help me out.

No comments: