Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spare Tire

As part of my intent to lose weight and get a little more fit, I went to the Health & Wellness Centre yesterday to get a body fat percentage estimate. I had one done back in 2004, and figured it couldn't be much worse now. Boy, was I wrong.
The trainer used two separate kinds of tests. The first was an electronic test that was accurate to within 7%, and the second involved using callipers on my skin that was accurate to within 3%. Both were higher than I expected, and the callipers placed me in the borderline obese category.
The trainer commended me for my running program, but said that if I wanted to get my body fat down, I'd have to supplement with some strength training. I've never been a fan of lifting, but it seems I might have to if I want to avoid being a disgusting fat-body.
All this depressing news has sent me down a shame spiral, and all I really want to do is lay on my couch and binge on cheesecake. To ease my pain, I did a little online shopping last night. (Damn you, J. Crew and your overpriced preppy casual wear!) I'm starting to empathise with all those fat women who are always crying on Oprah.

No comments: