Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Almost a Vacation

After ten hours of driving, Ed and I arrived around 5:30 PM Monday evening. We basically followed the GPS, which led us over curvy roads through mountain passes. Once we got into Austria and on the Autobahn, it was a pretty easy trip. We're staying at a hotel downtown, and it's pretty nice; however, my wireless isn't working, so I probably won't post again until we get home Saturday night.
Last night, Ben picked us up and we went to dinner, and I had lunch today with my friend Tim, who I haven't seen since 2001. I've made other plans with several people throughout the week, usually involving food. Unlike the Italians, most of the Germans speak English, making it much easier to ask for vegetarian entrees.
Our class should be relatively easy, so I'm just doing my best to appreciate Germany. The base is huge, and we spent quite a while today just driving around, marveling at the size of their facilities.
In a way, it all makes me appreciate living in Italy a little more. Yeah, they have great beer here, but the Italians win when it comes to food. And I'm guessing the Germans must have been last in line when they gave out languages.

No comments: