Saturday, July 08, 2006

Doctor's Orders

I woke up Tuesday feeling a little pain on the left side of my back. I've never had a history of back pain and didn't do any heavy lifting. It got worse as the day wore on, eventually to where I could barely breathe; but Wednesday, it was practically gone. Thursday it was a little sore. And today, it was horrendous. So, I made an appointment at the clinic for 2:45 this afternoon.
After a quick exam, the doc said I probably had a kidney stone, which totally freaks me out. I drink plenty of water, have a healthy diet, and maintain an active lifestyle. This shouldn't happen to me. To be sure, the doc wanted x-rays, blood work, and a urine sample. And dammit if I didn't go just before I went to the clinic. I ended up spending two hours in the waiting room drinking water. To add insult to injury, I had to wear one of those thin, little paper gowns for my x-rays. That's the very picture of humility right there.
Still no word yet on what's ailing me, but I've got some swell painkillers that require me to avoid alcohol. It's funny how they think that will stop me from drinking this weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care. (Make sure you have a driver.)

Jess said...

I've heard that drinking more water can help. For every beer or alcoholic drink, have a cup of water. You won't get drunk as fast but you may prevent having surgery.