Friday, December 03, 2010

Take This Job

I'm a pretty calm guy, but I about lost my temper at work today. Things haven't been exactly smooth lately, but they've been moving along well enough. I'm lucky in that I take care of my own jobs and programs; nobody micromanages me, and I'm left to my own devices. But when something out-of-the-ordinary happens, it's always the same people in our shop doing the work to get things back to normal.
So today, I asked someone if he could take care of one of these out-of-the-ordinary incidents, and he flat out told me, "No." I tried to be encouraging and understanding, but he wouldn't budge, and that's when raised my voice a bit.
If this would have been a simple battle of wills, he would have lost. Unfortunately, he had an ace in the hole (aka his supervisor), and I had to retreat; but the war is far from over.

No comments: