Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Crisitunity!

Today, I got a call from my superintendent who asked me to come see him in his office. A little worried, I headed over and when I arrived, the first thing he said was, "How much do you like working in your shop?"
Basically, the ops chief wants to set up a special team of craftsmen from each shop to work on certain buildings on base, and they need an NCO to lead said team. For several minutes, we discussed the pros and cons of this new job, what it could mean for my career, the pressure I'll be under, who I'll be working for, who will be working for me, and tons of other aspects.
The thing is, I like what I'm doing now. As I was saying the other day, I can come in each morning, take care of what I need to take care of, and nobody really messes with me. They all have the faith that I'm going to get my shit done, because I've never given them any reason to believe otherwise. Sure, there are the occasional frustrations and personality conflicts, but overall, I'm very comfortable, and I've never been one to rock my own boat.
However, my superintendent is an amazing guy, and there are few people in the squadron I have more respect for than him. I'm the guy he asked because he thinks I'm the man for the job. Before he even asked me, he had already talked me up to the ops chief as a guy who gets his shit done. How could I refuse?
There are still some minor details that need to be worked out, and honestly, I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. I consider myself more of a worker than a leader, and there will definitely be growing pains. I'm also very excited about it, and it's definitely going to test my limits.
One more thing about my superintendent... I want to do a good job for two reasons: 1) To do a good job, and 2) because I don't want to disappoint him. Here's hoping I don't.

No comments: