Sunday, June 21, 2009

Stranded

I spent yesterday in Venice and took the last train back last night. The train left at 11:17 PM and arrived in Sacile a little after midnight. Unfortunately, I must have dozed off along the way, and when I awoke, we were pulling away from the Pordenone train station, which is after Sacile. I got off at the next stop, Casarsa, hoping there would soon be a train back to Sacile. When I saw the schedule, I about fell over. The next train back wasn't until 4:29 AM. Then I realised that train didn't run on Sundays, and I'd have to wait until 5:36 AM. I considered calling someone to come get me, but part of my friends are in Sardinia, part are on the west coast, and the rest were probably all drunk. Plus, I wasn't even sure where Casarsa was, much less how to tell someone how to get there.
I walked around the train station for a bit hoping to find a taxi or even a hotel. No dice. I was lucky to find the waiting room door left open, so I sat down and pulled out my book. It was kinda creepy, but my biggest worry was getting kicked outside because the waiting room was supposed to have closed at 10. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the sun coming up. I definitely learned my lesson about sleeping on the train.
I'll report more on the weekend's activities later, but right now, I'm going to take a long shower and an even longer nap.

No comments: