Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Poor Planning On My Part

The big show was last night, and, as promised, a full review will be posted after I've had time to process it all. However, there are a few things about last night not directly related to the show itself on which I'd like to comment.
The show was scheduled to start at 8 PM, and my VIP ticket included a two-hour pre-show party. I left my hotel at 5 PM, but grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get to the venue. I took the hotel shuttle to the airport to hop a train to the venue. It was only a three-minute ride, but it still cost 7 Euro. I had to pick up my ticket package at the box office, which was on the opposite side of the stadium. Finally, after all the walking and getting directions and more walking, I made it into the stadium at 7:30. So, no pre-show party. No food. No free drinks. No mingling with people I couldn't understand anyway. Big deal.
When I picked up my ticket, I was delighted to see I was sitting in the front row. I was looking forward to dancers gyrating above me and drops of sweat falling on my head. But when I walked inside, the VIP section was a reserved seating area to the side--not down front, which was all standing general admission. It was still a great seat, and I could see everything fine. But if I would have known there was a GA floor section, I would have gone for it.
Also included in my ticket package was access to a post-show party. However, in order to catch the last train, I had to leave immediately after the show ended, lest I risk paying 80 Euro for a taxi. So, no post-show party.
Needless to say, the VIP package was a waste of a few hundred dollars. It's something I'd consider again only if I were familiar with the area and not going by myself. Lesson learned.
Oh, and one other thing--it seems Germans, when given the choice, would rather sit through a concert instead of standing up and dancing. As soon as the lights went down, I stood up, but soon felt a tap on my shoulder. The girl behind me yelled at me to sit down, or at least I think that's what she said. It was gibberish to me, but she looked angry and kept moving her hand in a downward motion. So for the rest of the evening, I sat on the edge of my seat and subtly grooved to the beat. It was a little constricting, but didn't stop me from enjoying the show entirely.

No comments: