Saturday, September 13, 2008

It Tolls For Me

Budoia is a pretty quiet little community. It's far enough from the base where I don't have to hear F-16s flying all the time, so about the only thing I hear is the occasional dog barking and church bells. The bells, however, are pretty consistent. I assume this would be a problem in any town in Italy, as every town has a church in the middle. But really, I wouldn't even call it a problem, because it doesn't bother me at all. It's just something I notice. They ring on the hour, every hour, just to let everyone know what time it is. Plus, they chime a few other times during the day, but I don't know why. For instance, at 5:30 PM, they go absolutely crazy. My guess is that it's to signal the end of the work day or something. Sometimes they seem to go on forever, but still, I don't care. In a way, it's kind of comforting, like the presence of God.

No comments: