Friday, April 14, 2006

No Solutions, Just Bombs Below

A new live music venue called The Depot opened in Salt Lake City in January. The opening night act was Cake, and the Roots played a few nights later. Unfortunately, I was in Texas at the time, and, until last night, nobody has played there that I was really wanting to see.

Living Things
Originally uploaded by currtdawg.
Living Things debut album "Ahead of the Lions" ended up on several "Best of 2005" lists. The best way I can describe them would just be straight-up kick-ass rock-n-roll. Every track on the album is a fist-in-the-air, politically charged, rally cry.
They played SLC last night, and I was there. There were two opening acts: The Adored and Diamond Nights. I missed The Adored, and walked in half-way through Diamond Nights set. They looked and sounded as if they came right out of touring with Foghat in 1977. Not really my style, but they were energetic and enjoyable. I like to catch opening acts, just in case one day they make it really big and I can say, "I saw them way back when..."
As for the venue, I was really impressed. The Depot had a great feel to it. It was intimate and reminded me of the House of Blues in Las Vegas. I was a little disappointed there were only about 40 people there, but, in a way, it kinda seemed like the band was playing a more private show.
When Living Things came out, I left my seat in the back and walked to the front with about 15 other people and began to dance to their infectious rock grooves. They played nearly every song on their album and sounded great. Unfortunately, I left my phone at home, so I had to resort to this stock photo from the internet. They're made up of three brothers from St. Louis and their buddy. Lillian Berlin, the singer and oldest brother, was very theatrical and made sure to make everyone feel like they were there to have a great time.
After their main set, they went backstage for a bit. We were all standing and waiting for the encore when this idiot in the crowd threw his beer bottle on the stage and it completely shattered. Then the roadie came out to say the band wouldn't be playing anymore. If I ever see that guy again, I'm gonna punch him in the mouth.

No comments: