Monday, September 27, 2004

Demon Crazy

I made my daily lunch trip to the post office today, and when I looked inside my box, I was pleasantly surprised for two reasons: 1) a wonderful little yellow package notice (new duds from Banana Republic); and 2) my absentee ballot. When I first saw it, I got all giddy like a school girl. "Woo-hoo! My chance to participate in our wonderful democracy!" Then I opened it and saw, listed on the paper, five (5) choices for President of the United States of America. They're listed in this order:

Bush (Republican Party)
Kerry (Democratic Party)
Peroutka (Constitution Party)
Nader (Independent)
Badnarik (Libertarian Party)

While researching Peroutka and Badnarik, I found out that there are 74 actual candidates. 74! That's crazy. It's a shame we have such a bi-partisan system that we barely hear about three.
So, anyway, I pretty much ruled out Peroutka and Badnarik (though Badnarik had a few redeeming qualities). And I think I've made it pretty obvious I'm not voting for Bush. Now I have a rather difficult decision to make. Nader's platform is the one most consistent with my values and morals, and major change in this country usually results due to the minority raising their voices; however, I realize, of the big two, Kerry is the "lesser of two evils," and a vote for Nader is basically a vote for Bush. So, I can vote with my heart, or I can use my vote to do the most good. I don't know what to do. Take care. No worries. God Bless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curtis! It's Jim from Vegas. I had to comment on this one because I've been in the same predicament concerning voting. Then it was brought to my attention that if Nader receives 5% of the populous vote, he will get big money for next election's campaign. So apparently the 5% populous thing is a pretty big deal. So thats a good reason to vote with your heart. And here's the other thing.... Bush is gonna win anyway, like it or not. Kerry had a chance but messed it up I think. His campaign sucks. Anyway... food for thought there.

Golden Gate Mama said...

of course nader is better, but vote with your brain and your heart = kerry. the last election was the best time for the green party's chances at securing federal funding. days before the election, nader was getting 10-11% of the vote, but people ultimately chickened out (or the polls were out of whack). vote for kerry. i mean, isn't it obvious? :)