Monday, November 15, 2004

Brush with Greatness Number 1 -or- Over the Edge

I decided to do a little series this week called "Brush with Greatness." Basically, it's the stories of my encounters with celebrities. There are five major stories--one for every day, today through Friday. Here's number one:
It was late October of 2000, and I was on my way from Las Vegas to Japan for the first time. I was in LAX and had to switch from the domestic terminal to the international terminal. I had all my luggage on a cart, and was wheeling it outside, along the sidewalk, when I looked over and saw The Edge. He was wearing really cool rock star jeans, a black jacket, and a skull cap. I desperately wanted to say something to him, but he was with his family, and I thought it best not to disturb him. I stood there and basked in his rock star glory for a few minutes, then began walking again, in order not to look like a stalker freak. I realize this may not actually qualify as a "brush with greatness" since there was no actual contact, but when you're talking about the guitarist for a band as legendary as U2, I think walking within 20 feet of him is close enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...yeah, about half way down, the fifth sentence down I think it would be 'than began...' not 'the began...'. You might want to check with one of the Dinkins on that. Good luck. Keep on blogging!
Jeni-Bomb

Curtis Sutton said...

Thanks for the keen eye, Jeni-Bomb, but actually, it should be "then" which refers to time, instead of "than" which refers to a comparison. You rock!