Sunday, March 18, 2012

In the Black Pool

Eric by currtdawg
Eric, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

Eric and I just spent the past five days in Dublin. I had fond memories from last time I was there, and this time was just as fun.


St. Stephen's Green by currtdawg
St. Stephen's Green, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

This was Eric's first time in Dublin, so we basically did all the same stuff I did last time I was there, which was fine with me. I was happy to get reacquainted with the city, including the gorgeous St. Stephen's Green.


Guinness Storehouse by currtdawg
Guinness Storehouse, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

And the Guinness Storehouse.


At the Guinness Storehouse by currtdawg
At the Guinness Storehouse, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

Did you know Guinness has water in it? Insane!


Eric Pours a Guinness by currtdawg
Eric Pours a Guinness, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

And Eric poured his first Guinness, but he's more of a Jameson guy, so I got to drink it. He did a good job.


Craig Finn by currtdawg
Craig Finn, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

As you might know, I'm a big fan of The Hold Steady, and since they've been on hiatus since last year, vocalist Craig Finn has been touring behind a solo album ("Clear Heart Full Eyes"). Coincidentally, he was playing Dublin Thursday night, so I dragged Eric to the show. He plays great bar rock in the same vein as THS, but with more of a country twinge to it. He's very animated when he sings, so Eric and I stood there, swaying with the crowd. I really enjoyed the show, and was glad to hear Eric appreciated it, too.


Jameson Distillery by currtdawg
Jameson Distillery, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

On Friday, we went to the old Jameson Distillery, which is something I missed last time I was in town. We took a guided tour, which was really fascinating. Of course, the free samples didn't hurt, either.


Tony, Kristen, & Ally by currtdawg
Tony, Kristen, & Ally, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

On Friday evening, we were joined by Tony, Kristin, and Ally.


Kristen & Ally by currtdawg
Kristen & Ally, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

It was great to have even more people to drink with, not that there was a shortage or anything.


St. Patrick's Day by currtdawg
St. Patrick's Day, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

On St. Patrick's Day, Ally and Kristin went on a trip to Cork and Blarney (which Eric and I were supposed to attend, but kinda overslept), so he, Tony, and I watched the parade, then headed to a pub to watch the Ireland vs. England rugby match. The ladies caught up with us later that evening.


James Joyce & Me by currtdawg
James Joyce & Me, a photo by currtdawg on Flickr.

It never fails to amaze me how genuine and kind the Dubliners are. They always went out of their way to help us, and we never felt like we were getting swindled just because we were tourists. It's definitely one of my favourite cities in Europe.

No comments: