Thursday, October 04, 2007

With Such an Abstract Grace

It's been nearly two years since I last saw Eisley. Since then, they've been touring almost non-stop, and released their second LP, "Combinations."

Eisley
Originally uploaded by currtdawg
They came through SLC last night as an opening act for MuteMath, so my friend Mike and I went to watch. The first time I saw them, the band seemed to be centered around Stacy, the keyboardist/vocalist; but this time, the lead vocals switched back and forth between Stacy and Sherri, which I really appreciated. We even heard a few harmonies from Chauntelle, who rarely approaches the mic. I enjoyed the first album, "Room Noises," but I think their writing really matured on their second album, which made the whole performance seem more unexpected, yet accessible and balanced. They rock harder now, and the crowd definitely benefitted.
Between sets, Mike and I got a drink, and then decided to take off. But just as we were walking out the door, I looked back to see MuteMath take the stage. I'm not familiar with them at all, but that first chord they played emitted a wonderous energy. Part of me wishes we would have stayed, but.....

No comments: